Home > Cinemas > Directory of cinemas in the Brighton & Hove area

Directory of cinemas in Brighton & Hove

These are all the cinemas (and their name changes) that have ever operated in Brighton and Hove, Southwick and Shoreham. Details are given under the name of the theatre at each site by which it is best known, with cross-references from subsequent names. Detailed histories of all these venues are included in the Cinema-by-Sea book.
Click on icon to go to the relevant map section

ABC Cinema
75 East Street
Brighton
1963-1986, 1997-1999
see Savoy Cinema-Theatre
ABC Cinema
Portland Road
Hove
1965-1973
see Granada
Academy Theatre
59 West Street
Brighton
 10
1911-1973
1911 Academy
1931 Tatler
1932 Academy
1973 closed
Ace Cinema
107-108 Lewes Road
Brighton
1965-1968, 1969-1971
see Gaiety Cinema
Aquarium Kinema
Madeira Drive
Brighton
F
1897-1939 (occasional)
Arcadia Cinema
16 Lewes Road, Brighton
1910-1940 and 1944-1957
1910 People's Picture Palace.
1910 Aracdia Cinema.
1940 Closed
1944 Re-opened.
1957 Closed.
Astoria
15 Gloucester Place
Brighton
19
1933-1977
Bijou Electric Empire
64 North Street
Brighton
11
1911-1913
see Prince's Cinema
Bijou Electric Empire
Shoreham
1911-1931
1911 Opened
Renamed Duke of York's Cinema
1931 Closed
Bijou Select Palace
64 North Street
Brighton
1913-1915
see Prince's Cinema
Brighton Film Theatre
64 North Street
Brighton
1969-1978
see Prince's Cinema
Cannon Cinema
75 East Street
Brighton
1986-1995
see Savoy Cinema-Theatre
Cannon Cinemas
Brighton Marina
1991-1995
see Cineworld.
Cinema-de-Luxe
150 North Street
Brighton
05
1911-1942
1910 spring Opened
1942 Destroyed by fire.
Cinematheque
9-12 Middle Street
Brighton
1996-2005
1996 Established by a group of independent film-makers for regular but intermittent screenings as part of the Brighton Media Centre [right]. 60 seats.
2005 February Building is sold and Cinematheque closes
2005 November Begins operating at other venues
The Cinematheque has its own website
Cinescene
64 North Street
Brighton
1979-1983
see Bijou Electric Empire, Brighton
Cineworld Cinemas
Brighton Marina
1991-date
1991 MGM Cinemas.
1995 Virgin Cinemas.
1999 UGC Cinemas.
2005 Cineworld.
Classic Cinema
Lewes Road
Brighton
1979-1980
see Gaiety Cinema
Classic Cinema
130 Western Road
Brighton
1975-1979
see Electric Bioscope
Coliseum
78 West Street
Brighton
1918-1919
see Grand Picture Palace
Coliseum
342 Brighton Road
Shoreham
1920-1941?
1920 Opened
1941 Closed.
Continentale Cinema
Sudeley Place
Kemp Town
Brighton
1951-1986
see King's Cliff Cinema
Coronation Cinema
104 North Road
Brighton
09
1911-1928 [site 1911-1939]
1928 New Coronation
1934 Troxy Cinema
1938 Rex News Theatre
1939 Closed
Cosy Nook
1 East Street
Brighton
1945-1950
1945 Opened by John King, photographic and film retailer.
1946 Kings Minicine News Cinema
1950 Closed.
Court Cinema
16-17 New Road
Brighton
02
1909-1945 and 1955-1957 [site 1909-1957, intermittently]
1909 Opens in former Coliseum Theatre
1940 Closed
1947 Dolphin Theatre
1952
Reverts to theatre use
1955 Paris [Continental] Cinema
1957 Reverts to repertory theatre use
1962/63 Closed.
Demolished in 1967, replaced by offices
Curzon Cinema
130 Western Road
Brighton
1936-1975
1909 Electric Bioscope
1910 Queen's Electric Theatre
1915 Queen's Picture Theatre
1919 Picturedrome
1922 Scala Cinema
1932 Regal Cinema
1936 Curzon Kinema
1975 Classic Cinema
1979 Closed.
Devonshire Cinema
Eastern Road
Brighton
1920-1922
see Tierney's Royal Picture Theatre
Dolphin Theatre
16-17 New Road
Brighton
1947-1952
see Court Cinema
 
The DomeThe Dome
Church Street
Brighton
F
The Prince Regent's riding stable, converted to a concert hall in 1867 (and remodelled in 1935), has been used for occasional film shows, such as the one during the week beginning 1 February 1926 when the Sussex Picturedromes Company, owners of the Duke of York's Cinema, ran 'a special and exclusive presentation of the remarkable British film Livingstone, two exhibitions daily at 3 and 8 o'clock', tickets costing 1/-, 1/6, 2/- and 2/6 (5p-12p), which was expensive at a time when the average admission charge was 9d (4p). The 1974 Eurovision Song Contest, won by Abba, was staged here. It has been used recently to host occasional performances of classic silent films with orchestral accompaniment. [Photo of Dome concert hall 1934, courtesy of Brighton History Centre]
Duke of York's Cinema
Preston Circus
Brighton
 04
1910 to date
Electric Bioscope
130 Western Road
Brighton
01
1909-1910
See Curzon
Embassy
1 Western Road
Hove
1948-1981
see Hove Cinematograph Theatre
Empire Picture Theatre
Haddington Street
Hove
1910-1933
1910 Opened.
1930 New Empire
1933 Closed.
Essoldo Cinema
134 North Street
Brighton
1950-1964
[site 1940-1964]
1940 Opened as a drama and variety theatre.
1943 Film use increases
1950 Essoldo
1964 Closed
Gaiety Cinema
107-108 Lewes Road
Brighton
1937-1965 [site 1937-1980]
1937 April 24 Opened
1965 November Ace Cinema
1971 Vogue Cinema
1979 Classic Cinema
1980 October closed.
Gem Electric Cinema
36a London Road
Brighton
03
1910-1914
1910 July Opened in a former furnishing store.
1914 Closed.
Later a Freeman Hardy & Willis shoe shop, then a branch of the Woolwich Building Society, now part of a betting shop.
Granada
Portland Road
Hove
1933-1974
1933 July 17 Opened
1965 May ABC
1974 June 4 Closed
Grand Cinema
(46) North Road
Brighton
1931-1940
1931 January 22 Opened in the converted Grand Theatre.
1940 September 27 Closed.
Re-opened as a theatre from July 1941 to 31 January 1955, offering twice-nightly variety.
    The building became a furniture factory and was destroyed by fire in 1961. The site was occupied by the ugly Gresham House (possibly in memory of Sir Thomas Gresham, after whom is named the law that bad money drives out good—which all too often has applied to Brighton's architecture), no more attractive for being renamed Tower Point early in 2000.
Grand Cinema-de-Luxe see Palladium Cinema
Grand Picture Palace
78 West Street
Brighton
06
1911-1918
c1905 Occasional film shows in a roller-skating rink, built in 1892.
1911 Opened as a cinema with 2,000 seats (!).
c1912 Renamed the Coliseum.
1917 Closed.
1919 Fire destroys the building, which is re-built as Sherry's Dance Hall and, with the Regent, becomes the centre of Brighton night life in the inter-war years; the Middle Street frontage is unchanged.
Brighton HippodromeHippodrome
Middle Street
Brighton
1929 [site 1897-date]
1929 February 3-June 23 Films on Sundays during restoration of the Regent after a fire.
    The Hippodrome was established as a variety theatre in a former circus in 1902 by Tom Barrasford, whose northern music hall circuit (or 'tour') had expanded southwards and was now based at the Hippodrome (opened 1897), which Barrasford had converted from an ice rink (cf Academy) into a variety theatre to designs by the eminent theatre architect Frank Matcham. Barrasford died at Hippodrome House on 1 February 1910 and his funeral is said to have been one of the largest ever seen in Brighton. Films were a regular item on the variety bills before the First World War.
    The Beatles played here on a bill supporting Roy Orbison on 2 June 1963 and then as headliners on 12 July 1964 and 25 October 1964
    For details of the campaign to restore the Hippodrome for live performance, visit Our Brighton Hippodrome.
Hove Cinematograph Theatre
1 Western Road
Hove
14
c1912-1922 [site c1912-1981]
c1912 Opened
1922 Tivoli Cinema
1948 Embassy Cinema
1981 Closed
Hove Electric Empire
76-77 George Street
Hove
1911-1934
1911 April 11 Opened as the first purpose-built cinema in Hove. The cinema is also known as the Electric Theatre.
Imperial Cinema
134 North Street
Brighton
23
1943-1950
Imperial Picture Palace
5 St James Street
Brighton
12
1912-1916
1912 Opened by George Bloch (see also Coronation and Prince's)
1916 Closed
The shop front reverted to shop use (currently a charity shop and the auditorium became a garage. A supermarket now occupies the site of the cinema itself.
Jacey Cinema
64 North Street
Brighton
1967-1969
see Bijou Electric Empire, Brighton
King's Cliff Cinema
Sudeley Place
Kemp Town
Brighton
15
1920-1947 and 1948-1986
1920 Opened
1948 Metro Cinema
1949 Picture Playhouse/Playhouse Cinema
1951 Continentale Cinema
1986 December Closed
Kings Minicine News Cinema 1946-1950
see Cosy Nook
Lido Cinema
Denmark Villas
Hove
1932-1961
1932 May 6 Opened (adjoining Hove Station)
1944 July 30 Renamed Odeon
1961 February 18 Closed.
Majestic Cinema
Eastern Road
Brighton
1919-1920
see Tierney's Royal Picture Theatre
MGM Cinemas
Brighton Marina
1991-1995
see Cineworld.
New Coronation
104 North Road, Brighton
1928-1934
see Coronation Cinema
New Empire
Haddington Street, Hove
1931-1933
see Empire Picture Theatre
New Kinema
Albion Street, Southwick
c1915-1946
c1915 Frederick George Ellis buys land and builds a Picture House and two shops.
1928 Plaza.
1931 New Kinema.
1946 Damaged by fire but reopens.
1948 Destroyed by fire.
Norfolk Cinema
High Street, Shoreham
1933-1964
1933 Opened.
1947 Ritz Cinema.
1964 Closed. Used for bingo, then became a warehouse. Demolished 1970
Novelty Electric Theatre
27 West Street, Brighton
21
1911-1913
1911 Opened by W Harold Speer, owner of the Queen's Electric Theatre. The premises were formerly used for a bazaar.
1912 Empire Electric Theatre.
1913 late Closed.
The building was demolished in 1934. National House now occupies the site on the corner of Regency Road.)
Odeon
Denmark Villas, Hove
1938-1967
see Lido Cinema
Odeon
85 King's Road, Brighton
1936-1937
see Palladium Cinema
 
Odeon Kingswest
King's Road/West Street, Brighton
25
1973 to date
Odeon Kemp Town
40 St George's Road, Kemp Town, Brighton
20
1934-1960
Odeon
West Street/Little Russell Street, Brighton
24
1937-1973
Palladium Cinema
85 King's Road
Brighton
13
1912-1956
(also called Grand Cinema-de-Luxe)
Paris Continental Cinema
16-17 New Road
Brighton
1955-1957
see Court Cinema
Pavilion, PortsladePavilion Cinema
North Street
Portslade
1932-1958
1911 Prince's Imperial Picture Palace and Theatre
1932 Pavilion Cinema
1958 Closed.
People's Picture Palace
Park Crescent Place/16 Lewes Road
Brighton
22
1910
Picturedrome
Eastern Road
Brighton
1916-1919
see Tierney's Royal Picture Theatre
Picturedrome
130 Western Road
Brighton
1919-1922
see Electric Bioscope
Picturedrome
North Street
Portslade
1918-1932
see Prince's Imperial Picture Palace and Theatre
Playhouse Cinema
Sudeley Place
Kemp Town
Brighton
see Continentale
Plaza Cinema
Southwick
 
Prince's Cinema
64 North Street
Brighton
1919-1947
1911-1913 [site 1911-1983]
1913 Bijou Select Palace
1915 Prince's Electric Theatre
1919 Prince's Cinema
1947 Prince's News Theatre
1967 Jacey Cinema
1969 Brighton Film Theatre
1978 closed
1979 Cinescene
1983 closed
Prince's Imperial Picture Palace and Theatre
North Street
Portslade
1911-1932
See Pavilion Cinema, Portlade
Prince's Electric Theatre
64 North Street
Brighton
1915-1919
see Bijou Electric Empire, Brighton
Princes News Theatre
64 North Street
Brighton
1947-1967
see Bijou Electric Empire, Brighton
Queen's Picture Theatre
130 Western Road
Brighton
1915-1919
see Electric Bioscope
Regal Cinema
130 Western Road
Brighton
1932-1936
see Electric Bioscope
Regent Cinema
133 Queen's Road/133 North Street
Brighton
16
1921-1973
Rex News Theatre
104 North Road
Brighton
1938-1939
see Coronation Cinema
Ritz Cinema
High Street
Shoreham
1967-19
see Norfolk Cinema
Rothbury Cinema
Franklin Road
Portslade-by-Sea
1934 March 27 Opened.
1958 The cinema was used as a location for the film Battle of the V1
1964 January 19 Closed.
The building has been occupied by Southern FM radio station since 1983.
Savoy Cinema-Theatre
75 East Street
Brighton
17
1930-1963 [site 1930-1999]
1963 ABC Cinema
1976 Re-opened as a four-screen complex
1986 Cannon Cinema
1995 Virgin Cinemas
1997 ABC Cinema
1999 Closed.
Scala Cinema
130 Western Road
Brighton
1922-1932
see Electric Bioscope
Star Cinema
Shoreham
1910-1926
1910 Opened in a former Congregational Chapel
1926 Closed.
Tatler
59 West Street
Brighton
1931
see Academy Theatre
Tierney Royal Picture Theatre
64 Edward Street
Brighton
08
1911-1916 [site 1911-1922]
1911 Opens in a converted shop on the site of the Tierney Arms pub by Houghton Rockett.
1916 Renamed Picturedrome.
1919 Renamed the Majestic Cinema.
1920 Renamed the Devonshire Cinema.
1922 Closed.
Converted for use as Brighton Boys' Club, opened by the Prince of Wales on 23 March 1927. Rebuilt as the Brighton Youth Centre in 1958.
Tivoli Cinema
1 Western Road
Hove
1922-1948
see Hove Cinematograph Theatre
Troxy Cinema
104 North Road
Brighton
1934-1938
see Coronation Cinema
UGC Cinemas
Brighton Marina
1999-2005
see Cineworld
Virgin Cinemas
Brighton Marina
1995-1999
see Cineworld
Vogue Cinema
Lewes Road
Brighton
1971-1979
see Gaiety Cinema

 

Return to previous page

Page updated 19 September 2015
David Fisher