Brightonfilm.com

Home > Brighton and cinema > Map 6

Brighton, Hove and the cinema

    
< >

C Site of the Pandora Gallery, King's Road, where the first UK film show outside London was held 25 March 1896. Renamed Victoria Hall, where the first film show run in Brighton was given (R W Paul's 'Celebrated Animatographe').
L Charles Urban died at the Lees Nursing Home, 12 Dyke Road in 1942. Homelees House, a sheltered/retirement housing block, now occupies the site. [The numbering of properties in Dyke Road has since changed.]

go to directory entry 01 Site of Electric Bioscope (1910-1979), 130 Western Road, Brighton [now part of Waitrose supermarket].
go to directory entry 05 Site of Cinema-de-Luxe, 150 North Street.
go to directory entry 06 Site of Grand Picture Palace, 78 West Street, Brighton.
go to directory entry 07 Site of Novelty Electric Theatre, 27 West Street, Brighton.
go to directory entry 10 Site of Academy Theatre, 59 West Street, Brighton.
go to directory entry 11 Bijou Electric Empire cinema (now Burger King).
go to directory entry 13 Site of Palladium Cinema, 85 King's Road, Brighton (now part of the Brighton Centre).
go to directory entry 16 Site of Regent Cinema (Boots now occupies the site).
go to directory entry 18 Site of Grand Cinema, 46 North Road.
go to directory entry 21 Site of Novelty Electric Theatre, 27 West Street
go to directory entry 23 Site of Imperial Cinema, 134 North Street
go to directory entry 24 Site of Odeon, West Street/Little Russell Street, Brighton.
go to directory entry 25 Odeon Kingswest, King's Road/West Street, Brighton.

Return to previous page

Page updated 20 January 2009