Brightonfilm


Directory of cinemas in Brighton & Hove

< Previous | Next >

Novelty Electric Theatre


The Novelty Electric was approximately the fifth building from the left in this view of West Street before the re-development of the west side. (Mrs E Macauley's bow-fronted apartment building was no 22.)

Novelty Electric Theatre (1911-1912 and 1913)
Ritz Cinema (1912-1913)

27 West Street, Brighton
operated 1911-1913

1911 Opened by W Harold Speer, owner of the Queen's Electric Theatre. The premises were formerly used for a penny bazaar.
1912 Acquired by Mrs Adelaide Wheatcroft, a 71-year-old well-to-do widow from Worthing. The cinema is renamed the Empire Electric Theatre.
1913 Again called the Novelty Theatre, continuous shows 14:00-23:00.
1913 late Closed.
Demolished in 1934. National House now occupies the site on the corner of Regency Road.

Brighton cinema directory
< Previous | Next >

Page updated 7 March 2018
David Fisher