|Hove Town Hall
Hove Twn Hall in the early 1900s
Church Road, Hove
operated 1896-1910 or later
• Designed by Alfred Waterhouse (who also designed Brighton's Metropole Hotel) and opened in 1882. Its public rooms were used for many purposes.
1896 November 19-21 Hove Camera Club's annual exhibition includes films by James Williamson. These become a regular feature of the event.
1900 January 13-February 17 James Williamson holds six weekly film shows, Williamson's Popular Entertainments.
1900 February Poole's Myriorama is shown. [This was an elaborate moving panorama show, now incorporating film, that had been touring since the 1850s and under the Poole brothers' name since the 1880s when they took over the business from Moses Gompertz.]
1900 November 17-December 8 James Williamson stages four more Saturday evening shows. At the first he shows his Attack on a China Mission—Blue Jackets to the Rescue, one of the most important films of the period (see also West Pier Pavilion). At the second and third he shows films of winter sports made by Mrs Aubrey Le Blond.
1910 July A two-week run is held of the French film Cherries (hand-tinted) and Warwick Trading Company's release England Invaded, filmed at Devil's Dyke, near Brighton. The programme includes Cinephone musical short films, also produced by Warwick, synchronising film and gramophone records.
• Fire gutted the Town Hall in 1966 and it was replaced by
a modern building, which at one time housed the Southern Cinema Hove Centre.
Brighton cinema directory
< Previous | Next >