• The Hippodrome was built as an ice rink in 1897, designed by Lewis Karslake. 1901 August 28 Opens as a circus. Animated pictures are included in the programme no later than he week of 18 November. 1902 December 22 Opened by Thomas Barrasford as a variety theatre, with films on the bill, to designs by the eminent theatre architect Frank Matcham. Barrasford's northern music hall circuit (or 'tour') has expanded southwards and is now based at the Hippodrome.
1902 Films are included on the variety bill from now until at least 1916. 1904 November Capt Lascelles Davidson demonstates his colour photography system. 1909 Film presentations are said to use the Barrascope (actually an ordinary projector) and include local newsreels and James Williamson films. 1910 February 1 Barrasford dies at Hippodrome House. Walter de Frece, who owns a chain of theatres called Hippodrome, mainly in the north of England, acquires the theatre, which he merges into his South of England Hippodromes Ltd. 1913 January 23 Auguste van Biene, the cellist/actor who in October 1896 appeared in one of the first fiction films—Esme Collings' version of van Biene's play The Broken Melody—dies on stage while performing the cello recital in act two of The Master Musician. 1923 January Pictures are now shown on Sundays; continuous performance 18:00 to 22:30; doors open 17.30.
1928 May Acquired by Gaumont-British Picture Corporation (GBPC) along with the Court Cinema. 1929 February 3-June 23 Films are screened on Sundays during restoration of GBPC's Regent Cinema after a fire. At this time live theatre is not permitted on a Sunday,
1933 Owned by Moss Empires theatre chain.
• The Hippodrome is a Grade II* listed building.
• For a full history vsit Our Brighton Hippodrome.