|Grand Picture Palace
A rare oblique view of the entrance to the Grand, advertising 'animated pictures" and Greco-Turkish wrestling
Grand Picture Palace (1911-1912)
78 West Street, Brighton
• The former Grand Concert Hall, where Charles Dickens gave his last Brighton performance in 1868, became a roller-skating rink, owned by J B Mellison, built in 1892 at a cost of £17,000 and designed by local architect Alfred Carden. The rink could seat 3,000 people. Also on this site was the photographic business of Burt Sharp that had been on the site between 1882 and 1891, formerly the Lombardi & Co photographic business, owned by Otto Pfenninger in the 1890s-1900s.
c1905 Occasional film shows in the roller skating rink, possibly before this date.
1911 Opened as the Grand Picture Palace cinema with 2,000 seats, also known as the Pleasure Palace.
c1912 Renamed the Coliseum.
1917 April 3 Closes after a court action is brought by Gaumont against Grand Concert Hall and Picture Palace for non-payment of film rentals, resulting in a judgment for £223.
• Fire destroyed the building in 1919. It was rebuilt as Sherry's Dance Hall and, with the Regent, became the centre of Brighton night life in the interwar years. The building later housed the Paradox night club and Club Barcelona (formerly the Pink Coconut and Crystal Room) and most recently Synergy Centre; the Middle Street frontage is unchanged (see Cinematheque).
Brighton cinema directory
< Previous | Next >