The Granada just after it closed as a bingo hall.
Photo courtesy of www.74simon.co.uk
Portland Road, Hove
1933 July 17 Opened by the Mayor of Hove, Victor Hudson, with Anna Neagle, who later lived in Brighton, as guest of honour. It was designed by H L Hemsley with additional work by Frederick E Bromige, with interiors by F L Filie. Owned by Granada (Dover) Ltd, a company formed by Nathan N Lee, as its second cinema, adding to the Granada Dover, leased by Lee from Sydney and Cecil Bernstein. Compton cinema organ, 45ft proscenium and 25ft deep stage and five dressing rooms for live performances. Cafe, sun terrace, 1,638 seats. Prices 7d-1s 6d. Opening films: The Kiss Before the Mirror and The Hawleys of High Street
1935 June 18 Acquired by Associated British Cinemas (ABC), which retains the Granada name.
1948 1,592 seats, continuous performances. Café; Westrex sound system
1965 May 25 Renamed ABC
1968 1,372 seats
1970 December 24 Re-opens after brief closure for modernisation
1974 April Threat of closure provokes demonstrations and petitions
1974 June 4 Closed. Last film: Callan
• Acquired by Ladbrokes on a 56-year lease in 1975, it becomes a Lucky Seven bingo hall. After further changes of ownership—including Granada (1985-1991)—it was closed by its then owners, Gala Group, in 2003. It is currently standing but closed up and derelict. It was acquired by the Downland Housing Association and there are plans to convert it into a community space with affordable housing, a doctor's surgery and pharmacy.
The cinema has its own website (opens in new window).
Brighton cinema directory