The Rex News Theatre was the final short-lived incarnation on the site.
Photo courtesy of Brighton & Hove Libraries' Brighton History Centre
As it was after conversion in 2006.
Photos: left: courtesy of Brighton & Hove Libraries' Brighton History Centre; right: David Fisher, Terra Media
Coronation Cinema (1911-1928)
New Coronation (1928-1934)
Troxy Cinema (1934-1938)
Rex News Theatre (1938-1939)
104 North Road, Brighton
1911 Coronation Cinema opened in former shop premises. Owned by J L Crown (29 Denmark Villas, Hove), designed by local architect Alfred Carden and named in honour of the coronation of King George V. The auditorium runs behind adjacent shops at right angles to the entrance, with exits in Cheltenham Place. It had exits 350 seats.
1913 November 20 Re-opens with balcony, which adds 200 seats to the auditorium.
1914 When J L Crown takes over the Palladium, the Coronation is acquired by George Bloch, who also runs the Imperial Picture Palace and Prince's cinemas, bicycling prints between the three locations
1928 Renamed New Coronation
1932 Becomes the last Brighton cinema to install sound equipment but is still showing 'silent' films the following year.
1934 Renamed the Troxy Cinema
1935 Remodelled in art deco style by Gates & Son
1938 Renamed Rex News Theatre
1939 June 17 Closed. Last films: San Quentin and Ever Since Eve.
• Until the end of the 20th century a motorcycle showroom, the external shape of a very early purpose-built cinema could still be seen until the site was re-developed in 2001. The current facade is said to be modelled on the original appearance.
Brighton cinema directory
< Previous | Next >